Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Sara, she's the coolest girl I've ever met"...

That is what Jon said to me the moment he met our sweet Sloane.  Yes, we had her!  That is why my blogging has been non-existent.  I have been so busy staring at this angel to think about anything else.  Let me get you up to speed on how this whole thing went down...

Monday December 5th--Sloane's birthday.
I woke up to pee at about 8am.  Jon was finishing getting ready and about to leave for work.  I peed (sorry, tmi).  When I stood up I was still peeing.  Weird.  It was clear.  I screamed for Jon.  I said "I think my water broke or is breaking...it's supposed to smell like the ocean".  We both smiled.  Jon said "should I change?".  And before I could answer he had his slacks off and jeans on the ironing board.  I hopped in the shower.  This was really happening.  I couldn't believe it.  As I was getting ready Jon left to get gas in the car.  I finished getting ready and started cleaning the house.  I wasn't having contractions so we were in no hurry to get to the hospital. 

My "water" was still coming out in small gushes every few minutes.  I decided to sit on a towel on the way there (good thing).  We were totally giddy going to the hospital.  It was our last time that we would be a family of two.  I guess it was a little bittersweet.  I loved being "Sara and Jon".  We have been that since we were 14.  "So should we do something crazy before we are parents?" I said.  We couldn't think of anything, damn.  But, Jon missed his turn and traffic was nuts on Walnut Hill.  When we got there we checked in.  I told the lady that I was "leaking" so she gave me a puppy pee pad to sit on.  No joke.  It was a little embarrassing.  She asked me what type of room we wanted and I said a Suite.  I looked back at Jon and he just grinned and rolled his eyes.  That's when I knew for sure that he was going to be such a good dad. 

We got to our (delivery) room and met our nurse.  She was a special request by my best friend's mom (who is off on Mondays ugh!) and she was awesome.  I got pitocin right away to start contractions since I wasn't having any.  I could get the epidural whenever I want at this point.  For some reason I felt like I needed to feel a contraction (so I knew it was real) before I got the pain meds.  I felt one.  I buzzed the nurse.  I got the meds.  Phew.  Never again. 

It was about noon by now.  My parents got there and brought Jon lunch.  I was progressing pretty quickly about 5cm and totally effaced.  The nurse said it would be a few more hours.  My dad was on his iPad, mom was on her phone and Jon was fielding texts on his crackberry.  It was quite a sight.  Jon started to get a little nutty at this point.  I asked him about the towel I was sitting on in the car.  "Oops" he said, and left the room.  When he got back he said "Sorry babe, I forgot to take it out of the car and you were right....our car now smells like the beach".  Haha.  (My parents later told me that he put the towel on top of the car, wtf).  Jon's mom got there around 3:30 and at 4:00 it was time to push.  Jon had his game face on.  I am not really sure what I looked like.  I was ready though.  I only pushed for about 3o minutes.  It was pretty ideal actually.  I don't remember much but I do know that I didn't really talk.  I didn't make any noise.  Jon held my hand and occasionally told me "I love you" and "You are doing great".  Then before I knew it, she was out and screaming!  It was something I can not describe.  I didn't cry, I laughed.  It was a "what the hell? how did this happen"  kind of laugh.  They took the baby over to be wiped down and weighed.  Jon was kissing me and telling me how awesome I did, etc...the nurse yelled "Um, dad?  Get your camera!"..."Oh right!"  Jon tripped twice and ran over with the camera.  Before they brought her back to me, Jon came over with tears in his eyes and said "Sara, she is the coolest girl I've ever met, I love her SO much".  Tear jerker...I have never been more in love with this man.

We were visited by so many people that day.  We felt so blessed.  The nurse said our waiting room turnout was very impressive.  The whole hospital experience was wonderful.  (please don't judge my appearance in any of the following images. thanks)

Wednesday December 7th--Going home day.
Sloane was healthy and perfect so we got to go home fairly quickly.  We were so excited to take her home. 


Friday December 8th--Sloane's first Doctor appointment. 
Since she was so little they wanted to check her weight.  Jon had a conference call at work that he couldn't miss so Sherry had to come with me.  I was sleep deprived (I hadn't really slept since Sunday night).  We were running late to the doctor.  I forgot her hospital papers.  Things were crazy.  When we got there, mom left to go back and get the papers.  I sat in the waiting room alone with my baby.  There were two other couples there with their babies.  I looked like a single mom.  I started to get emotional.  The lactation consultant came in and got me.  She had me nurse Sloane so she could make sure I was doing it correctly.  My mom made it back at this point.  As I was sitting there (in pain, ouch) with my huge boobs out and this little squirrel nibbling on them, I lost it.  Completely.  I just started crying.  I wasn't sad, I was just completely overwhelmed.  I apologized and said I was fine.  I hadn't cried yet.  I was a zombie on auto pilot.  Until now.  At this point Sherry proceeds to ask the lactation lady..."So she was concerned with the size of her nipples (areolas) will those go down or shrink back?".  Really mom!!?!?  Ugh.  I continued to cry.  The nurse was sweet and said "honey, you know you can  have a glass of wine or a beer whenever you want".  I smiled.  That will help.  When the doctor came in he asked how I was.  He noticed I had been crying and told me that if I needed help he has some people that I could talk to.  OMG.  He thinks I am depressed.  Great.  I turned my frown upside down...which then made me look bi-polar.  Overall, bad experience.  The good news is that Sloane was still in good shape.

Saturday December 9th--Sloane's first photo shoot. 
We headed to Fort Worth for this 5 day old princess's first photo shoot.  We were a little nervous because she didn't eat a whole lot before.  She was amazing and she slept through the whole thing!  Here is a sneak peek...

Since then things have been great.  We have learned a lot about our little girl.  Jon spends hours staring at her.  She is a miracle.  Our miracle.  We are so blessed and very thankful.


I have to agree with Jon on this one...Sloane is def the coolest girl I have ever met.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh. Tears are flowing. Partly because I cry a the drop of a hat but mostly bc we have similar stories, dating our husbands from the womb and all. Ita so neat to see these pictures and we are so happy for you guys!! I have to admit that the past couple of weeks I've had a random day or two where I just get sad that life as the two of us will change and we will never have a time like that/this again. BUT the after is SO incredible it quickly changes to happy tears that in just a few short months we will have the miracle we prayed for so song we would have! Congratulations Platt family!!'

    ReplyDelete