Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sloane's Quarters

We have been working really hard on the baby's room.  Well, I say "we".  I have been mentally working, everyone else has been physically working.  Jon and my parents have been running all over the place trying to get it done, with my direction from the couch of course...I must have full control.  I am actually kind of struggling with identity crisis.  I feel like Cinderella because I look like her (minus the soot) and I am confined to a small space.  But, I am also relating to the evil step mother because I am having my food served up on a platter and all the chores on being done for me.  Its quite strange...  Anyway, we have rushed to do as much as we can, because we really have no clue when this little princess child is going to get here.  Better safe than sorry?!? 

The dresser came in, literally, 2,000 pieces from Ikea.  Jon. Hates. Ikea.  It was a nightmare.  He also had a mini breakdown when putting up the bookcase.  Not. Pretty.  It is coming together quite nicely though.  I had a really hard time deciding what style to do because I like so many different things.  I needed to be inspired.  It is SO much easier designing somone elses house. 

When we decided on the name "Sloane" it helped that the exact translation of the word is "Raider"....yes, like Red Raider, go tech.  But also because a Sloane or a Sloanie is a slang term in the UK stereotyping a young, upper-class, preppy, socialite.  Classic, never trendy, if you will.  Jon of course, loved this definition and that was that.  I don't think he realizes what this means.  I have said this before, but I would consider myself a nice mix between trendy and classic.  Trendy to me is XXI, H&M, etc.  The cheap places.  Classic is more like Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton and Hermes.  Jon wants to support that kind of habit?  Grool.  Anyway, I think her nursery needs to be the same.  Classic, not trendy.  But it also needs to be "cool" because I think she is going to be a pretty cool chick.  I mean, how could she not be?  Let's get real.

I explained this a little before (in an earlier post), but we went with a mirrored chest for the changing table and everything else is white.  The walls are a light gray with a subtle lavender undertone.  This color will do wonders for an olive skin tone (fingers crossed that is what she will have, thanks to Jon).  We got a corner, floor to ceiling bookcase for a built-in look that I will organize by color (or try to, I thought about giving Sherry a new color each day to buy books, animals, accessories, but I think it might overwhelm her...Sherry overwhelmed = no bueno).  A flokati rug to freshen it up (jon wants a white cowhide--we are still debating) and heavy puddled white curtains for a dressy vibe.  It will also always have fresh flowers (peonies when in season)....I promise little Sloane.

Here is a progress shot...this is Jon hanging the curtains.

I will post more when we are done!  We don't have too far to go.  Aunt Boozle is making Sloane some art and I have ordered a large piece for over the crib (its a PRADA marfa replica...I totally die).  I am also waiting on the mobile to arrive.  The chandelier needs to be hung, cough JON, and we still have a few things to buy...a pouf/ottoman, changing pad, chunky lamp, baby ghost chair, bookcase accessories and some bedding.  Jon thinks the baby ghost chair is excessive, but I told him it is non-negotiable.  If I can't have them at my kitchen table, Sloane gets one in her bedroom.  So close I can taste it....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment